The Merchants' Bridge
- Merchant's Bridge, (c) Thuringia Tourism
The Merchant’s Bridge in Erfurt’s city centre is the only bridge north of the Alps completely covered with buildings and a landmark in Erfurt’s cityscape. The stone bridge is the oldest secular building structure in the city, housing numerous little shops and restaurants since the 14th century ce.
Bridge and ford over the river are part of the Via Regia, the King’s Street connecting the Rhine valley with Silesia, which carried long distance traffic of goods in the Middle Ages and early Modernity.
Once a wooden structure, the bridge was rebuilt after numerous fires in 1293 in stone and the shops lining the bridge let out to traders and merchants. ...
The Old City
- Bildansicht vergrößern
- Erfurt, Old City
The city of Erfurt looks back on a history of almost 1270 years. It was first mentioned in a document dating to 742 CE, when Irish missionary Bonifatius petitioned the pope to acknowledge a see in “Erphesfurt”. The city was soon to become a central marketplace along the medieval “Via Regia”, the King’s Street, along which goods were sped from East to West. Part of the Via Regia led over the Krämerbrücke (“Merchant’s Street”), still one of the distinguishing features of the Old City of Erfurt. The bridge is the longest one in Europe and covered with houses from end to end, deriving its name from the multiple shops selling luxury items such as spices, medicine, dyes, precious metals, silk and paper in the Middle Ages.